Immigration > Moving to The Netherlands from the USA

Moving to The Netherlands from the USA

We have created this page for expats moving from the United States to The Netherlands. We will give you detailed information about obtaining a visa, opening bank account, tax issues you need to face when moving from the United States to the Netherlands.

Moving to The Netherlands from the USA
Immigration: Moving to The Netherlands from the USA

We explore in this section

Apply for a long-term visa

You don’t need a long-term visa if you are from the USA. However, you’ll still need a residence permit from the IND. To make an appointment with IND, call +31 88 0430 430. They are open Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm or visit the website of the IND. Read more in Immigration section.

Find an address to register at

Find an address to register at. You’ll need a rental contract or agreement to get your BSN or social security number, which means you need to find a place to live prior to registering with the Gemeente.
Rental Websites 

Register with the Town Hall (Gemeente)

You will need official documents to register with the town hall. Bring extra copies of important documents, such as your birth certificate and marriage certificate. Take the following documents to the Gemeente.

Valid passport (or personal identification).
Residence permit, such as a sticker in your passport, ID card or letter from IND.
Rental contract.
Certified copy of your birth certificate.
If applicable, you need your foreign marriage certificate, divorce certificate or registered partnership.

Opening a bank account

To open a bank account, go to the bank branch in your area, or visit one of their websites. There are many banks to choose from.The four major ones are ABN AMRO, ING, Rabobank and the SNS-bank. Read more in our Banking section.

To open a bank account in person, take the following documents with you:

proof of identity (passport or identity card)
official proof of address, such as a tenancy agreement
personal public service number(burgerservicenummer)
your residence permit or registration with the Foreign Police (IND).

Dutch Taxes for American citizens.

American citizens this includes permanent residents are required to file expatriate tax returns with the federal government every year. Along with the typical tax return for income most citizens are also required to submit a return disclosing assets which are held in bank accounts in foreign countries by using FinCEN Form 114 (FBAR).

The United States tax international income earned by their citizens as well as permanent residents living overseas. There are some ways to protect you from possible double taxation. These include:

Tax credit allowing tax on remaining income to be reduced based on the taxes paid to foreign governments

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. This exclusion allows one to exclude USD 101,300 (this amount is for 2016 taxes) in earned income from foreign sources.

An exclusion on foreign housing that allows additional exclusions from their income for some amounts paid to cover household expenses due to living abroad.

There are several agencies specializing in advising American citizens with their taxes. Please contact us to receive more information.

Read more in our Taxes section.

This page was last updated: 01/22/2024.