Immigration > Immigration to the Netherlands

Immigration to the Netherlands

If you want to work, study or just to live in The Netherlands and you are a resident of the EU/EEA member states you do not require a resident permit. If that doesn’t apply maybe the Modern Migration Policy Act applies to you. In this section we explore your options. 

Immigration to the Netherlands
Immigration: Immigration to the Netherlands

We explore in this section

Residence permit

To work in the Netherlands, residents of the EU/EEA member states do not require resident permits. After you have been here for three months, you should register with the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service). When you register, you must provide documents to verify the purpose of your stay. Read more in section Residence permit.

Residence permit

Register with the Town Hall (Gemeente)

You will need official documents to register with the town hall. Bring extra copies of important documents, such as your birth certificate and marriage certificate. Take the following documents to the Gemeente. Read more in the section Register at your Muncipal

Valid passport (or personal identification).
Residence permit, such as a sticker in your passport, ID card or letter from IND.
Rental contract.
Certified copy of your birth certificate.
If applicable, you need your foreign marriage certificate, divorce certificate or registered partnership.

What is a Burgerservicenummer?

To work in the Netherlands, you must have a social security number (in Dutch,  burgerservicenummer). This number means that you have registered with the tax authorities and the social security system. If you plan to stay longer than three months, you must register in the municipality where you live, which will issue you a social security number.
Read more on the page BSN (Burgerservicenummer)

What is a Burgerservicenummer?
This page was last updated: 02/21/2022.